The EMP Commission’s Untimely Demise
The Commission to Assess the Threat to the United States from Electromagnetic Pulse (EMP) Attack (the “EMP Commission”) was established on October 30, 2000 by Public Law 106–398, Title XIV. It was allowed to “sunset” on September 30, 2017. As of this writing, the EMP Commission’s website is down and their reports are no longer available through this longstanding source. I am putting together this post to make the EMP Commission’s reports, testimony and articles easily available in one place. My website is not going anywhere anytime soon.
EMP Commission Reports and Testimony
- “Executive Report.” Commission to Assess the Threat to the United States from Electromagnetic Pulse (EMP) Attack. (2004). EMP Commission 2004 Report (accessed October 28, 2017).
- “Critical National Infrastructures.” Commission to Assess the Threat to the United States from Electromagnetic Pulse (EMP) Attack. (2008). https://permanent.access.gpo.gov/LPS101707/A2473-EMP_Commission-7MB.pdf (accessed October 28, 2017).
- Testimony of Dr. William R. Graham before the House Armed Services Committee. (July 10, 2008) https://michaelmabee.info/wp-content/uploads/2019/01/2008-07-10-GRAHAM-testimony-HASC.pdf (accessed January 24, 2019)
- Letter from Dr. William R. Graham, Chairman, to the U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission. August 5, 2011. https://www.nrc.gov/docs/ML1127/ML11279A118.pdf (accessed April 7, 2018).
- Letter from Dr. William R. Graham, Chairman, to Secretary of Energy Rick Perry. April 20, 2017. http://highfrontier.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/02/PERRY-V-4-NEWEMPCltr2PERRY2017.pdf (accessed February 27, 2018).
- Statement for the Record of Dr. William R. Graham, Chairman, and Dr. Peter Vincent Pry, Chief of Staff, Commission to Assess the Threat to the United States from Electromagnetic Pulse (EMP) Attack. Before the U.S. House of Representatives Committee on Homeland Security. October 12, 2017 http://docs.house.gov/meetings/HM/HM09/20171012/106467/HHRG-115-HM09-Wstate-PryP-20171012.pdf (accessed November 26, 2017).
- “Assessing the Threat from Electromagnetic Pulse (EMP) Executive Report.” (July 2017) https://michaelmabee.info/wp-content/uploads/2018/05/2017-Executive-Report-on-Assessing-the-Threat-from-EMP-FINAL-April2018.pdf (accessed May 9, 2018).
- “Life Without Electricity: Storm-Induced Blackouts and Implications for EMP Attack.” (July 2017) https://michaelmabee.info/wp-content/uploads/2018/05/2017-Life-Without-Electricity-FINAL-April2018.pdf (accessed May 9, 2018).
- “Recommended E3 HEMP Heave Electric Field Waveform for the Critical Infrastructures.” (July 2017) https://michaelmabee.info/wp-content/uploads/2018/05/2017-Recommended-E3-Waveform-for-Critical-Infrastructures-FINAL-April2018.pdf (accessed May 9, 2018).
- “Risk-Based National Infrastructure Protection Priorities for EMP and Solar Storms.” (July 2017) https://michaelmabee.info/wp-content/uploads/2018/06/2017-Risk-Based-National-Infrastructure-Protection-Priorities-for-EMP-and-Solar-Storms.pdf (accessed June 23, 2018).
- “Examination of NERC GMD Standards and Validation of Ground Models and Geo-Electric Fields.” (July 2017) https://michaelmabee.info/wp-content/uploads/2018/06/2017-Examination-of-NERC-GMD-Standards-and-Validation-of-Ground-Models-and-Geo-Electric-Fields.pdf (accessed June 23, 2018).
- “Electric Reliability Standards for Solar Geomagnetic Disturbances.” (July 2017) https://michaelmabee.info/wp-content/uploads/2018/06/2017-Electric-Reliability-Standards-for-Solar-Geomagnetic-Disturbances.pdf (accessed June 23, 2018).
- Dr. William R. Graham. “Chairman’s Report.” (July 2017) https://michaelmabee.info/wp-content/uploads/2018/08/2017-Chairmans-Report.pdf (accessed August 31, 2018).
- “Nuclear Electromagnetic Pulse Attack Scenarios and Combined-Arms Cyber Warfare.” (July 2017) https://michaelmabee.info/wp-content/uploads/2019/01/2017-Nuclear-Electromagnetic-Pulse-Attack-Scenarios-and-Combined-Arms-Cyber-Warfare.pdf (accessed January 23, 2019).
- “Political-Military Motives for Electromagnetic Pulse Attack.” (July 2017) https://michaelmabee.info/wp-content/uploads/2019/01/2017-Political-Military-Motives-for-Electromagnetic-Pulse-Attack.pdf (accessed January 23, 2019).
- “Foreign Views of Electromagnetic Pulse Attack.” (July 2017) https://michaelmabee.info/wp-content/uploads/2019/01/2017-Foreign-Views-of-Electromagnetic-Pulse-Attack.pdf
(accessed January 23, 2019).
For a more complete list and links for government documents on threats to the electric grid, click here.
Recent EMP Commission Articles
- Peter Vincent Pry. EMP Bias Puts US at Risk as North Korea Threat Grows. Newsmax. November 2, 2017.
- Peter Vincent Pry and William R. Graham. How the electric grid has been compromised. Washington Times. October 22, 2017.
- Peter Vincent Pry. American policies on EMP defense cannot be guided by the ignorant. The Hill. September 11, 2017.
- William R. Graham and Peter Vincent Pry. The other North Korean Threat. Washington Times. August 30, 2017.
- Peter Vincent Pry. EMP threat needs to be taken seriously. Washington Examiner. June 9, 2017.
- William R. Graham. North Korea Nuclear EMP Attack: An Existential Threat. 38 North, June 2, 2017.
- Peter Vincent Pry. An Obama Parting Shot: No Nuclear EMP Protection. Newsmax. January 17, 2017.
- William R. Graham, Peter Vincent Pry, et al. Underestimating Nuclear Missile Threats from North Korea and Iran. National Review. February 12, 2016.
- Peter Vincent Pry. Iran Has the Bomb. Arutz Sheva. February 26, 2014.