330 Million People in the U.S. Are On Life Support
That life support is the electric grid. If somebody (or Mother Nature) unplugs us, we will not survive.
I had been meaning to do a review of my Sol-Ark 12K EMP hardened solar generator and Missouri Wind and Solar 2000-Watt Raptor G5 Freedom Wind Turbine Generator. But since I just went through the 2021 Texas Power Grid Collapse, I got a bit carried away. I actually had the opportunity to “Combat Test” the system in a real world emergency.
It is critical that every family and community have a plan – what will we do if somebody pulls the plug?
Here is the full presentation:
[Note: Opinions expressed are my own and not necessarily those of groups I am affiliated with.]
I did this in 5 parts:
- Part 1: We are plugged into life support (Time 18:19)
- Part 2: Power Options (Time 10:52)
- Part 3: How to Get Started – Do Your Homework! (Time 7:13)
- Part 4: My system’s configuration and capabilities (Time 15:20)
- Part 5: “Combat Test” – 2021 Texas Blackout (Time 10:45)
(Scroll down if you wish to view one of the individual segments.)
Life Support Unplugged: More on the 2021 Texas Grid Collapse:
Components in my system:
- Sol-Ark 12K EMP Hardened system
- Trinasolar 320 Watt Panels
- Missouri Wind and Solar Raptor G5 Freedom Wind Turbine Generator
- Missouri Wind and Solar Dual Freedom II Wind & Solar Digital All in One Charge Controller
- Cape Cod Wind Speed Indicator
- Installer: Energize With Sunrise (Burleson, TX)
- Tin Hat Ranch – The Ultimate Guide to DIY Off Grid Solar Power (Bar none, this is absolutely the best beginner solar video.)
- Engineer 775 (Lots of great Sol-Ark installs and other good preparedness videos. I am a huge fan of Scott Hunt!)
- Running A House From A Generator (If you decide to go with a gas generator.)
- U.S. Department of Energy Small Wind Guidebook
- Missouri Wind and Solar Where to Install a Wind Turbine (This is a must-see video if you are considering a wind turbine. Not everybody has a good location for wind – make sure you do before you spend money!)
- Top 7 Mistakes Newbies Make Going Solar
- Most common mistakes with small wind turbines
- What is “the grid” and how is it regulated?
- The Civil Defense Book: Emergency Preparedness for a Rural or Suburban Community
Part 1: We are plugged into life support
Part 2: Power Options
Part 3: How to Get Started – Do Your Homework!
Part 4: My system’s configuration and capabilities
Part 5: “Combat Test” – 2021 Texas Blackout